Place Details

Place Details

Alexander Nevsky Lavra Trinity Cathedral

In 1762, Empress Catherine II ordered the construction of a Classicist temple on the site of the church built by Domenico Trezzini. The project, executed by architect Ivan Starov, was approved, and in 1778 the building was laid. The cathedral was consecrated in 1790 on the day of St. Alexander Nevsky. His relics, which were previously stored in the Church of the Annunciation, were transferred here.

The cathedral is located in the center of the ensemble, which makes up the composition of the buildings of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra. On either side of it there are Dukhovskoy and Fyodorovsky corps. Since its illumination, the cathedral received the status of an order, in honor of which the relief of the order appeared at its entrance, and the building itself was equipped with a hall for cavaliers.

The interior design of the building was made by Ivan Akimov, Peter Anzhi, Felice Lamoni, Fedor Danilov and Jacob Mettenleiter, as well as other talented craftsmen. Dmitry Levitsky painted a portrait of Catherine II.

In 1922, the authorities seized the cathedral for the needs of the revolutionary masses, and in 1956, after numerous petitions, it was returned. Restoration work has been carried out.

Now the building is in excellent condition, services are being held.

In 1762, Empress Catherine II ordered the construction of a Classicist temple on the site of the church built by Domenico Trezzini. The project, executed by architect Ivan Starov, was approved, and in 1778 the building was laid. The cathedral was consecrated in 1790 on the day of St. Alexander Nevsky. His relics, which were previously stored in the Church of the Annunciation, were transferred here.

The cathedral is located in the center of the ensemble, which makes up the composition of the buildings of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra. On either side of it there are Dukhovskoy and Fyodorovsky corps. Since its illumination, the cathedral received the status of an order, in honor of which the relief of the order appeared at its entrance, and the building itself was equipped with a hall for cavaliers.

The interior design of the building was made by Ivan Akimov, Peter Anzhi, Felice Lamoni, Fedor Danilov and Jacob Mettenleiter, as well as other talented craftsmen. Dmitry Levitsky painted a portrait of Catherine II.

In 1922, the authorities seized the cathedral for the needs of the revolutionary masses, and in 1956, after numerous petitions, it was returned. Restoration work has been carried out.

Now the building is in excellent condition, services are being held.

In 1762, Empress Catherine II ordered the construction of a Classicist temple on the site of the church built by Domenico Trezzini. The project, executed by architect Ivan Starov, was approved, and in 1778 the building was laid. The cathedral was consecrated in 1790 on the day of St. Alexander Nevsky. His relics, which were previously stored in the Church of the Annunciation, were transferred here.

The cathedral is located in the center of the ensemble, which makes up the composition of the buildings of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra. On either side of it there are Dukhovskoy and Fyodorovsky corps. Since its illumination, the cathedral received the status of an order, in honor of which the relief of the order appeared at its entrance, and the building itself was equipped with a hall for cavaliers.

The interior design of the building was made by Ivan Akimov, Peter Anzhi, Felice Lamoni, Fedor Danilov and Jacob Mettenleiter, as well as other talented craftsmen. Dmitry Levitsky painted a portrait of Catherine II.

In 1922, the authorities seized the cathedral for the needs of the revolutionary masses, and in 1956, after numerous petitions, it was returned. Restoration work has been carried out.

Now the building is in excellent condition, services are being held.

Address

1, Monastyrka River Embankment

Phone

+7 812 274-17-02

Website

http://lavra.spb.ru/

Source

https://kudago.com/spb/place/troickij-sobor-aleksandro-nevskoj-lavry/

Map

Сity tours