Place Details

Place Details

Smolny Institute for Noble Maidens

Initially, the Educational Society of Noble Maidens was located at the Smolny Resurrection Monastery, but due to the inconvenience of the buildings, it became necessary to build a new building. Only half a century later, the construction of the Smolny Institute building began, which was completed in 1808. The building project belonged to the famous architect D. Kvarnegi. The new building was simple and simple. The building of the institute was built in the style of classicism and resembled the elongated letter P. The entrance is located strictly in the middle, it is decorated with collonades, the walls of the building are smooth, only the window openings protrude.

However, the internal layout of the building is also very simple: there were study rooms, on the third floor there were bedrooms for pupils and staff, and in the southern wing there were Bolshaya and Malaya. dining rooms, above them, on the second floor, there was a large auditorium.

During the historical events of 1917, the Institute housed the headquarters of the Bolsheviks, and today the building houses the residence of the Governor of St. Petersburg.

Initially, the Educational Society of Noble Maidens was located at the Smolny Resurrection Monastery, but due to the inconvenience of the buildings, it became necessary to build a new building. Only half a century later, the construction of the Smolny Institute building began, which was completed in 1808. The building project belonged to the famous architect D. Kvarnegi. The new building was simple and simple. The building of the institute was built in the style of classicism and resembled the elongated letter P. The entrance is located strictly in the middle, it is decorated with collonades, the walls of the building are smooth, only the window openings protrude.

However, the internal layout of the building is also very simple: there were study rooms, on the third floor there were bedrooms for pupils and staff, and in the southern wing there were Bolshaya and Malaya. dining rooms, above them, on the second floor, there was a large auditorium.

During the historical events of 1917, the Institute housed the headquarters of the Bolsheviks, and today the building houses the residence of the Governor of St. Petersburg.

Initially, the Educational Society of Noble Maidens was located at the Smolny Resurrection Monastery, but due to the inconvenience of the buildings, it became necessary to build a new building. Only half a century later, the construction of the Smolny Institute building began, which was completed in 1808. The building project belonged to the famous architect D. Kvarnegi. The new building was simple and simple. The building of the institute was built in the style of classicism and resembled the elongated letter P. The entrance is located strictly in the middle, it is decorated with collonades, the walls of the building are smooth, only the window openings protrude.

However, the internal layout of the building is also very simple: there were study rooms, on the third floor there were bedrooms for pupils and staff, and in the southern wing there were Bolshaya and Malaya. dining rooms, above them, on the second floor, there was a large auditorium.

During the historical events of 1917, the Institute housed the headquarters of the Bolsheviks, and today the building houses the residence of the Governor of St. Petersburg.

Address

Smolny pr., 1

Source

https://kudago.com/spb/place/smolnyj-institut-blagorodnyh-devic/

Map

Сity tours