Place Details

Place Details

Eliseevs Merchants Shop

The famous store on Nevsky, built at the beginning of the XX century, still looks like a fairy tale both from the outside and inside. His showcase has become a separate attraction, tourists are photographed near it almost all the time. There are several grocery areas in the store's sales area, including meat delicacies, spices, fresh pastries, sweet souvenirs, purely St. Petersburg gifts and many others.The store has a long and very interesting history that began in 1812. The famous building itself was erected in 1902-1903, a similar style began to be called "merchant Art Nouveau". The luxury and wealth of the store amazed contemporaries. The main purpose of its eye-catching appearance was to attract as many potential buyers as possible. The Eliseevsky store became famous for its stained glass windows, interior decoration of trading halls and allegorical sculptures by A. G. Adamson installed on the facade. The building owned by Eliseev housed not only a shop: on the second floor there was a bank, commercial courses, as well as a number of rooms rented to theater troupes. In the basements of the store there were storage rooms, wine cellars and refrigerators. The Eliseev family had a long history. According to legend, the founder of this family was the serf gardener Sheremetev, who received a free and went to St. Petersburg, where he began to develop a trading business. At the end of the XIX century, the company was known in Europe, cooperated with manufacturers in a number of European countries, was the owner of wine cellars in Bordeaux and Madeira. The famous wine cellars of the Eliseevs appeared in St. Petersburg. The store built on Nevsky specialized in the trade of colonial goods, which in those years included oysters, truffles, various wines, cheeses, coffee, tea, rice, various spices and much more.Until 1917, the Eliseevsky store flourished, and after the arrival of Soviet power it was nationalized, all products and expensive things disappeared from the shelves. Ignoring the fact that "Eliseevsky" was renamed "Deli No. 1", residents of St. Petersburg continued to call it by its former name. The store has not lost its popularity and fame, but now representatives of the Leningrad party elite bought scarce products here. At formal prices and, of course, from the "back door" they were stocked with pineapples and citrus fruits, caviar and sausages. But even ordinary residents of the Soviet Union, arriving in the city on the Neva, first of all went to Eliseevsky, since the assortment of this store was incomparably richer than in retail outlets in other cities.In the post-Soviet years, the restoration of the store was carried out, which became officially called the "Shop of the Merchants of the Eliseevs". The atmosphere of the early 1900s was recreated in the halls, the only innovation was the placement of a palm tree in the center of the shopping hall.

The famous store on Nevsky, built at the beginning of the XX century, still looks like a fairy tale both from the outside and inside. His showcase has become a separate attraction, tourists are photographed near it almost all the time. There are several grocery areas in the store's sales area, including meat delicacies, spices, fresh pastries, sweet souvenirs, purely St. Petersburg gifts and many others.The store has a long and very interesting history that began in 1812. The famous building itself was erected in 1902-1903, a similar style began to be called "merchant Art Nouveau". The luxury and wealth of the store amazed contemporaries. The main purpose of its eye-catching appearance was to attract as many potential buyers as possible. The Eliseevsky store became famous for its stained glass windows, interior decoration of trading halls and allegorical sculptures by A. G. Adamson installed on the facade. The building owned by Eliseev housed not only a shop: on the second floor there was a bank, commercial courses, as well as a number of rooms rented to theater troupes. In the basements of the store there were storage rooms, wine cellars and refrigerators. The Eliseev family had a long history. According to legend, the founder of this family was the serf gardener Sheremetev, who received a free and went to St. Petersburg, where he began to develop a trading business. At the end of the XIX century, the company was known in Europe, cooperated with manufacturers in a number of European countries, was the owner of wine cellars in Bordeaux and Madeira. The famous wine cellars of the Eliseevs appeared in St. Petersburg. The store built on Nevsky specialized in the trade of colonial goods, which in those years included oysters, truffles, various wines, cheeses, coffee, tea, rice, various spices and much more.Until 1917, the Eliseevsky store flourished, and after the arrival of Soviet power it was nationalized, all products and expensive things disappeared from the shelves. Ignoring the fact that "Eliseevsky" was renamed "Deli No. 1", residents of St. Petersburg continued to call it by its former name. The store has not lost its popularity and fame, but now representatives of the Leningrad party elite bought scarce products here. At formal prices and, of course, from the "back door" they were stocked with pineapples and citrus fruits, caviar and sausages. But even ordinary residents of the Soviet Union, arriving in the city on the Neva, first of all went to Eliseevsky, since the assortment of this store was incomparably richer than in retail outlets in other cities.In the post-Soviet years, the restoration of the store was carried out, which became officially called the "Shop of the Merchants of the Eliseevs". The atmosphere of the early 1900s was recreated in the halls, the only innovation was the placement of a palm tree in the center of the shopping hall.

The famous store on Nevsky, built at the beginning of the XX century, still looks like a fairy tale both from the outside and inside. His showcase has become a separate attraction, tourists are photographed near it almost all the time. There are several grocery areas in the store's sales area, including meat delicacies, spices, fresh pastries, sweet souvenirs, purely St. Petersburg gifts and many others.The store has a long and very interesting history that began in 1812. The famous building itself was erected in 1902-1903, a similar style began to be called "merchant Art Nouveau". The luxury and wealth of the store amazed contemporaries. The main purpose of its eye-catching appearance was to attract as many potential buyers as possible. The Eliseevsky store became famous for its stained glass windows, interior decoration of trading halls and allegorical sculptures by A. G. Adamson installed on the facade. The building owned by Eliseev housed not only a shop: on the second floor there was a bank, commercial courses, as well as a number of rooms rented to theater troupes. In the basements of the store there were storage rooms, wine cellars and refrigerators. The Eliseev family had a long history. According to legend, the founder of this family was the serf gardener Sheremetev, who received a free and went to St. Petersburg, where he began to develop a trading business. At the end of the XIX century, the company was known in Europe, cooperated with manufacturers in a number of European countries, was the owner of wine cellars in Bordeaux and Madeira. The famous wine cellars of the Eliseevs appeared in St. Petersburg. The store built on Nevsky specialized in the trade of colonial goods, which in those years included oysters, truffles, various wines, cheeses, coffee, tea, rice, various spices and much more.Until 1917, the Eliseevsky store flourished, and after the arrival of Soviet power it was nationalized, all products and expensive things disappeared from the shelves. Ignoring the fact that "Eliseevsky" was renamed "Deli No. 1", residents of St. Petersburg continued to call it by its former name. The store has not lost its popularity and fame, but now representatives of the Leningrad party elite bought scarce products here. At formal prices and, of course, from the "back door" they were stocked with pineapples and citrus fruits, caviar and sausages. But even ordinary residents of the Soviet Union, arriving in the city on the Neva, first of all went to Eliseevsky, since the assortment of this store was incomparably richer than in retail outlets in other cities.In the post-Soviet years, the restoration of the store was carried out, which became officially called the "Shop of the Merchants of the Eliseevs". The atmosphere of the early 1900s was recreated in the halls, the only innovation was the placement of a palm tree in the center of the shopping hall.

Address

56/8, Nevsky Prospect

Timetable

daily 10:00 — 23:00

Phone

+7 812 456-66-66

Website

https://vk.com/mk_eliseevs

Source

https://kudago.com/spb/place/eliseevskij-magazin/

Map

Сity tours