Place Details

Place Details

English Embankment

Nowadays, a granite strip of the embankment, a little more than 1200 meters long, connects the Admiralty Canal and Dekabristov Square. The embankment owes its name to English merchants, who preferred to settle in this area in the 18th century. Interestingly, before becoming English, the embankment changed its name at least twenty times: for three centuries it was Nizhnyaya, St. Isaac's, Galernaya... This list goes on for a long time.

People who settled along the Promenade des Anglais were representatives of the highest circles of society. The luxurious mansions that have survived to this day were inhabited by the German Count Rall, Tula breeder Nikita Demidov, an honorary citizen of the city E. P. Casalet, General Pyotr Durnovo and many other high-ranking officials.

House No. 10 on Angliyskaya Embankment, which once belonged to Count Vorontsov-Dashkov, was also visited by A. S. Pushkin. It was here, at one of the magnificent balls, that fate brought the poet together with the French monarchist Dantes. The ill-fated [duel] (http://kudago.com/spb/place/mesto-dueli-na-chernoj-rechke/) took place four days after the ball.

Nowadays, a granite strip of the embankment, a little more than 1200 meters long, connects the Admiralty Canal and Dekabristov Square. The embankment owes its name to English merchants, who preferred to settle in this area in the 18th century. Interestingly, before becoming English, the embankment changed its name at least twenty times: for three centuries it was Nizhnyaya, St. Isaac's, Galernaya... This list goes on for a long time.

People who settled along the Promenade des Anglais were representatives of the highest circles of society. The luxurious mansions that have survived to this day were inhabited by the German Count Rall, Tula breeder Nikita Demidov, an honorary citizen of the city E. P. Casalet, General Pyotr Durnovo and many other high-ranking officials.

House No. 10 on Angliyskaya Embankment, which once belonged to Count Vorontsov-Dashkov, was also visited by A. S. Pushkin. It was here, at one of the magnificent balls, that fate brought the poet together with the French monarchist Dantes. The ill-fated [duel] (http://kudago.com/spb/place/mesto-dueli-na-chernoj-rechke/) took place four days after the ball.

Nowadays, a granite strip of the embankment, a little more than 1200 meters long, connects the Admiralty Canal and Dekabristov Square. The embankment owes its name to English merchants, who preferred to settle in this area in the 18th century. Interestingly, before becoming English, the embankment changed its name at least twenty times: for three centuries it was Nizhnyaya, St. Isaac's, Galernaya... This list goes on for a long time.

People who settled along the Promenade des Anglais were representatives of the highest circles of society. The luxurious mansions that have survived to this day were inhabited by the German Count Rall, Tula breeder Nikita Demidov, an honorary citizen of the city E. P. Casalet, General Pyotr Durnovo and many other high-ranking officials.

House No. 10 on Angliyskaya Embankment, which once belonged to Count Vorontsov-Dashkov, was also visited by A. S. Pushkin. It was here, at one of the magnificent balls, that fate brought the poet together with the French monarchist Dantes. The ill-fated [duel] (http://kudago.com/spb/place/mesto-dueli-na-chernoj-rechke/) took place four days after the ball.

Address

English Embankment

Source

https://kudago.com/spb/place/anglijskaya-naberezhnaya/

Map

Сity tours