Place Details

Place Details

Admiralty

In 1702, Peter I drew up drawings, according to which the construction of a shipyard began on a small island between the Neva and the Moika River. This island was later named Admiralty Island. It was assumed that this structure will be the main center for the construction of ships in Russia on the Baltic Sea.

The shipyard had the shape of the letter “P”, the central part of which stretched for more than 400 meters. The Admiralty served not only as a shipbuilding center, but also served as a defensive complex: the fortress was surrounded by an earthen wall, and around the building the forest was cut down and the Admiralty Meadow was founded. which provides a complete overview of the area. In 1706, the Admiralty Shipyard completed the construction of the first ship, and in total, during the reign of Peter the Great, 262 warships were built here.

The famous Admiralty Tower, on the spire of which there is a boat, was installed in 1711. There was a ball under the boat, and inside it there was a gold container with coins minted in St. Petersburg. Today, the boat, the divorced Palace Bridge and the Bronze Horseman are recognized symbols of the northern capital of Russia.

The Admiralty and the adjacent territory have been rebuilt many times. In the 1730s, architect Ivan Kuzmich Korobov created a project to erect a stone building and installing a 72-meter spire on the Admiralty tower, on which the boat was placed. At the beginning of the 19th century, the Admiralty turned into a three-story building with more than 50 towers, a lot of stucco decorations and bas-reliefs. The renovated Admiralty was supposed to become a symbol of Russia as a powerful naval power.

Near the tower there are statues of sea nymphs that carry the heavenly and earthly spheres. Above the arch of the tower, located in the center of the Admiralty, there are two Glory with banners, and above them is a bas-relief depicting the Navy. On the tower parapet there are statues of heroes who became famous in ancient times. On the site above the colonnade there are 28 allegorical sculptures depicting the seasons, the countries of the world, the goddess Isis, patronizing the sailors, and other mythical creatures. The central tower is crowned with a dome with a clock and a 23-meter spire.

During the Great Patriotic War, the Admiralty was seriously damaged by shells, but later it was restored.

Throughout the history of the Admiralty's existence, its building housed naval headquarters, the Maritime Ministry, various specialized educational institutions. Today, the Naval Engineering Institute is located here.

In 1702, Peter I drew up drawings, according to which the construction of a shipyard began on a small island between the Neva and the Moika River. This island was later named Admiralty Island. It was assumed that this structure will be the main center for the construction of ships in Russia on the Baltic Sea.

The shipyard had the shape of the letter “P”, the central part of which stretched for more than 400 meters. The Admiralty served not only as a shipbuilding center, but also served as a defensive complex: the fortress was surrounded by an earthen wall, and around the building the forest was cut down and the Admiralty Meadow was founded. which provides a complete overview of the area. In 1706, the Admiralty Shipyard completed the construction of the first ship, and in total, during the reign of Peter the Great, 262 warships were built here.

The famous Admiralty Tower, on the spire of which there is a boat, was installed in 1711. There was a ball under the boat, and inside it there was a gold container with coins minted in St. Petersburg. Today, the boat, the divorced Palace Bridge and the Bronze Horseman are recognized symbols of the northern capital of Russia.

The Admiralty and the adjacent territory have been rebuilt many times. In the 1730s, architect Ivan Kuzmich Korobov created a project to erect a stone building and installing a 72-meter spire on the Admiralty tower, on which the boat was placed. At the beginning of the 19th century, the Admiralty turned into a three-story building with more than 50 towers, a lot of stucco decorations and bas-reliefs. The renovated Admiralty was supposed to become a symbol of Russia as a powerful naval power.

Near the tower there are statues of sea nymphs that carry the heavenly and earthly spheres. Above the arch of the tower, located in the center of the Admiralty, there are two Glory with banners, and above them is a bas-relief depicting the Navy. On the tower parapet there are statues of heroes who became famous in ancient times. On the site above the colonnade there are 28 allegorical sculptures depicting the seasons, the countries of the world, the goddess Isis, patronizing the sailors, and other mythical creatures. The central tower is crowned with a dome with a clock and a 23-meter spire.

During the Great Patriotic War, the Admiralty was seriously damaged by shells, but later it was restored.

Throughout the history of the Admiralty's existence, its building housed naval headquarters, the Maritime Ministry, various specialized educational institutions. Today, the Naval Engineering Institute is located here.

In 1702, Peter I drew up drawings, according to which the construction of a shipyard began on a small island between the Neva and the Moika River. This island was later named Admiralty Island. It was assumed that this structure will be the main center for the construction of ships in Russia on the Baltic Sea.

The shipyard had the shape of the letter “P”, the central part of which stretched for more than 400 meters. The Admiralty served not only as a shipbuilding center, but also served as a defensive complex: the fortress was surrounded by an earthen wall, and around the building the forest was cut down and the Admiralty Meadow was founded. which provides a complete overview of the area. In 1706, the Admiralty Shipyard completed the construction of the first ship, and in total, during the reign of Peter the Great, 262 warships were built here.

The famous Admiralty Tower, on the spire of which there is a boat, was installed in 1711. There was a ball under the boat, and inside it there was a gold container with coins minted in St. Petersburg. Today, the boat, the divorced Palace Bridge and the Bronze Horseman are recognized symbols of the northern capital of Russia.

The Admiralty and the adjacent territory have been rebuilt many times. In the 1730s, architect Ivan Kuzmich Korobov created a project to erect a stone building and installing a 72-meter spire on the Admiralty tower, on which the boat was placed. At the beginning of the 19th century, the Admiralty turned into a three-story building with more than 50 towers, a lot of stucco decorations and bas-reliefs. The renovated Admiralty was supposed to become a symbol of Russia as a powerful naval power.

Near the tower there are statues of sea nymphs that carry the heavenly and earthly spheres. Above the arch of the tower, located in the center of the Admiralty, there are two Glory with banners, and above them is a bas-relief depicting the Navy. On the tower parapet there are statues of heroes who became famous in ancient times. On the site above the colonnade there are 28 allegorical sculptures depicting the seasons, the countries of the world, the goddess Isis, patronizing the sailors, and other mythical creatures. The central tower is crowned with a dome with a clock and a 23-meter spire.

During the Great Patriotic War, the Admiralty was seriously damaged by shells, but later it was restored.

Throughout the history of the Admiralty's existence, its building housed naval headquarters, the Maritime Ministry, various specialized educational institutions. Today, the Naval Engineering Institute is located here.

Address

prosp. Admiralteysky, 1

Source

https://kudago.com/spb/place/admiraltejstvo/

Map

Сity tours