Place Details

Place Details

Refectory of Simonov Monastery

The first historical mention of the old building of the Refectory Chamber dates back to the end of the 15th century. The date of its construction, according to historians, is 1485. In the 17th century, the building ceased to meet the needs of the monastery community, and in 1677, the construction of the structure began, led by architect Potapov. The customers did not like the result, and the construction was frozen. The new building was erected between 1683 and 1685. Its construction was led by one of the most famous architects of that era, Osip Dmitrievich Startsev. Tsar Fyodor Alekseevich allocated funds for the construction.

The refectory of the Simonov Monastery is one of the monuments of Russian civil architecture, a vivid example of Moscow Baroque. On the east side, the building of the chamber was joined by the refectory of the church, and on the west there is a tower, the top of which was once crowned with an excellent observation deck. The walls of the Refectory are decorated with a painting imitating a rusticated surface. One of the characteristic features of the building is the presence of a stepped tong, decorated in the traditional Mannerist style of Western European architecture. The inner hall is covered with one full-width vault. This decision was later repeated during the construction of the New Jerusalem and Trinity Sergius Monasteries (1686-1692).

The architectural solutions of the refectory building allow us to assert the existence of cultural ties with Europe long before Peter the Great came to power.

Simonov Monastery is one of the cultural heritage sites of the Russian Federation. It was founded in 1379 by Saint Fedor, the nephew of Sergius of Radonezh. The land for construction was donated by boyar Stepan Khovrin (later monk Simon). The monastery, which is associated with key events in Russian history, was named in his honor. Alexander Peresvet and Andrey (Rodion) Oslyab are buried on the site of its original foundation — in Stary Simonov. Great Russian ascetics — Maxim Grek, Saint Cyril Belozersky and others — came out of its walls.

The monastery played the role of Moscow's shield. He took the first blows of enemy troops, remembers the raids of the Tatars, and in the Times of Troubles it was destroyed almost to the ground.

In 1930, the Bolsheviks blew up five churches out of six, destroyed graves on the territory. Currently, restoration and restoration work is being carried out in the monastery.

The first historical mention of the old building of the Refectory Chamber dates back to the end of the 15th century. The date of its construction, according to historians, is 1485. In the 17th century, the building ceased to meet the needs of the monastery community, and in 1677, the construction of the structure began, led by architect Potapov. The customers did not like the result, and the construction was frozen. The new building was erected between 1683 and 1685. Its construction was led by one of the most famous architects of that era, Osip Dmitrievich Startsev. Tsar Fyodor Alekseevich allocated funds for the construction.

The refectory of the Simonov Monastery is one of the monuments of Russian civil architecture, a vivid example of Moscow Baroque. On the east side, the building of the chamber was joined by the refectory of the church, and on the west there is a tower, the top of which was once crowned with an excellent observation deck. The walls of the Refectory are decorated with a painting imitating a rusticated surface. One of the characteristic features of the building is the presence of a stepped tong, decorated in the traditional Mannerist style of Western European architecture. The inner hall is covered with one full-width vault. This decision was later repeated during the construction of the New Jerusalem and Trinity Sergius Monasteries (1686-1692).

The architectural solutions of the refectory building allow us to assert the existence of cultural ties with Europe long before Peter the Great came to power.

Simonov Monastery is one of the cultural heritage sites of the Russian Federation. It was founded in 1379 by Saint Fedor, the nephew of Sergius of Radonezh. The land for construction was donated by boyar Stepan Khovrin (later monk Simon). The monastery, which is associated with key events in Russian history, was named in his honor. Alexander Peresvet and Andrey (Rodion) Oslyab are buried on the site of its original foundation — in Stary Simonov. Great Russian ascetics — Maxim Grek, Saint Cyril Belozersky and others — came out of its walls.

The monastery played the role of Moscow's shield. He took the first blows of enemy troops, remembers the raids of the Tatars, and in the Times of Troubles it was destroyed almost to the ground.

In 1930, the Bolsheviks blew up five churches out of six, destroyed graves on the territory. Currently, restoration and restoration work is being carried out in the monastery.

The first historical mention of the old building of the Refectory Chamber dates back to the end of the 15th century. The date of its construction, according to historians, is 1485. In the 17th century, the building ceased to meet the needs of the monastery community, and in 1677, the construction of the structure began, led by architect Potapov. The customers did not like the result, and the construction was frozen. The new building was erected between 1683 and 1685. Its construction was led by one of the most famous architects of that era, Osip Dmitrievich Startsev. Tsar Fyodor Alekseevich allocated funds for the construction.

The refectory of the Simonov Monastery is one of the monuments of Russian civil architecture, a vivid example of Moscow Baroque. On the east side, the building of the chamber was joined by the refectory of the church, and on the west there is a tower, the top of which was once crowned with an excellent observation deck. The walls of the Refectory are decorated with a painting imitating a rusticated surface. One of the characteristic features of the building is the presence of a stepped tong, decorated in the traditional Mannerist style of Western European architecture. The inner hall is covered with one full-width vault. This decision was later repeated during the construction of the New Jerusalem and Trinity Sergius Monasteries (1686-1692).

The architectural solutions of the refectory building allow us to assert the existence of cultural ties with Europe long before Peter the Great came to power.

Simonov Monastery is one of the cultural heritage sites of the Russian Federation. It was founded in 1379 by Saint Fedor, the nephew of Sergius of Radonezh. The land for construction was donated by boyar Stepan Khovrin (later monk Simon). The monastery, which is associated with key events in Russian history, was named in his honor. Alexander Peresvet and Andrey (Rodion) Oslyab are buried on the site of its original foundation — in Stary Simonov. Great Russian ascetics — Maxim Grek, Saint Cyril Belozersky and others — came out of its walls.

The monastery played the role of Moscow's shield. He took the first blows of enemy troops, remembers the raids of the Tatars, and in the Times of Troubles it was destroyed almost to the ground.

In 1930, the Bolsheviks blew up five churches out of six, destroyed graves on the territory. Currently, restoration and restoration work is being carried out in the monastery.

Address

st. Vostochnaya 4

Source

https://kudago.com/msk/place/trapeznaya-palata-simonova-monastyrya/

Map

Checkout airplane tickets

Сity tours