Place Details

Place Details

Spaso House

Spaso House began to be used as an American residence in 1933, and the mansion was built in 1915 for the largest Russian banker Nikolai Vtorov (which is why the second name of the building is Vtorov's mansion).

The authors of the architectural design of this house are Vladimir Adamovich and Vladimir Mayat. The neoclassical style is recognized even by a person who is not very knowledgeable in architecture — the central semicircular rotunda is decorated with Ionic columns, the interior is strictly symmetrical, as, indeed, the building itself.

The first American ambassador, who was located in the mansion of Vtorov, was William Bullit. At this time, a special hall for celebrations and receptions was added to the main building, where many world-famous musicians performed, including, for example, Sergei Prokofiev.

The walls of this house saw Reagan, Nixon, Eisenhower. One interesting story is connected with him: once Joseph Stalin presented the American ambassador with a wooden coat of arms that adorned the ambassador's office for six years, from 1946 to 1952. There are persistent rumors that a listening device was hidden in this gift.

Spaso House began to be used as an American residence in 1933, and the mansion was built in 1915 for the largest Russian banker Nikolai Vtorov (which is why the second name of the building is Vtorov's mansion).

The authors of the architectural design of this house are Vladimir Adamovich and Vladimir Mayat. The neoclassical style is recognized even by a person who is not very knowledgeable in architecture — the central semicircular rotunda is decorated with Ionic columns, the interior is strictly symmetrical, as, indeed, the building itself.

The first American ambassador, who was located in the mansion of Vtorov, was William Bullit. At this time, a special hall for celebrations and receptions was added to the main building, where many world-famous musicians performed, including, for example, Sergei Prokofiev.

The walls of this house saw Reagan, Nixon, Eisenhower. One interesting story is connected with him: once Joseph Stalin presented the American ambassador with a wooden coat of arms that adorned the ambassador's office for six years, from 1946 to 1952. There are persistent rumors that a listening device was hidden in this gift.

Spaso House began to be used as an American residence in 1933, and the mansion was built in 1915 for the largest Russian banker Nikolai Vtorov (which is why the second name of the building is Vtorov's mansion).

The authors of the architectural design of this house are Vladimir Adamovich and Vladimir Mayat. The neoclassical style is recognized even by a person who is not very knowledgeable in architecture — the central semicircular rotunda is decorated with Ionic columns, the interior is strictly symmetrical, as, indeed, the building itself.

The first American ambassador, who was located in the mansion of Vtorov, was William Bullit. At this time, a special hall for celebrations and receptions was added to the main building, where many world-famous musicians performed, including, for example, Sergei Prokofiev.

The walls of this house saw Reagan, Nixon, Eisenhower. One interesting story is connected with him: once Joseph Stalin presented the American ambassador with a wooden coat of arms that adorned the ambassador's office for six years, from 1946 to 1952. There are persistent rumors that a listening device was hidden in this gift.

Address

pl. Spasopeskovskaya, 10

Source

https://kudago.com/msk/place/spaso-haus/

Map

Сity tours