Place Details

Place Details

Pushkinskaya Square

Pushkinskaya Square is one of the most popular and lively places in the Russian capital. It got its name in the thirties of the last century. Before that, it was called Strastnoy, this name is directly related to the Strastnoy Convent, the bell tower of which, by the way, was located exactly in the place where the monument to A. S. Pushkin.

Construction work on the construction of the Strastnoy Monastery was completed in 1654, during the reign of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. The building is located in the place where the Passion Icon of the Mother of God once appeared before Muscovites. The fate of the monastery, which gave its name to Strastnaya Square years later, can be called sad, if not unhappy. Some time after the construction, a severe fire broke out in it. A few years later, its premises were used by the French army, which at that time seized the Russian capital, for sacrilege, mass executions and executions.

In the 20th century, during the Bolshevik regime, the monastery was again in trouble, this time the last. By cruel atheists, adherents of total godlessness, the Passion Monastery was completely destroyed. Now only the name of Moscow Boulevard reminds of it.

Russian literary luminaries Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev and Fedor took part in the creation of the monument to Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin on the site where the Strastnoy Monastery once hosted its parishioners Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky. It was with their active participation that the great Russian poet was immortalized in stone. The monument on the place where Pushkin liked to walk appeared in 1880.

Pushkinskaya Square is one of the most popular and lively places in the Russian capital. It got its name in the thirties of the last century. Before that, it was called Strastnoy, this name is directly related to the Strastnoy Convent, the bell tower of which, by the way, was located exactly in the place where the monument to A. S. Pushkin.

Construction work on the construction of the Strastnoy Monastery was completed in 1654, during the reign of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. The building is located in the place where the Passion Icon of the Mother of God once appeared before Muscovites. The fate of the monastery, which gave its name to Strastnaya Square years later, can be called sad, if not unhappy. Some time after the construction, a severe fire broke out in it. A few years later, its premises were used by the French army, which at that time seized the Russian capital, for sacrilege, mass executions and executions.

In the 20th century, during the Bolshevik regime, the monastery was again in trouble, this time the last. By cruel atheists, adherents of total godlessness, the Passion Monastery was completely destroyed. Now only the name of Moscow Boulevard reminds of it.

Russian literary luminaries Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev and Fedor took part in the creation of the monument to Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin on the site where the Strastnoy Monastery once hosted its parishioners Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky. It was with their active participation that the great Russian poet was immortalized in stone. The monument on the place where Pushkin liked to walk appeared in 1880.

Pushkinskaya Square is one of the most popular and lively places in the Russian capital. It got its name in the thirties of the last century. Before that, it was called Strastnoy, this name is directly related to the Strastnoy Convent, the bell tower of which, by the way, was located exactly in the place where the monument to A. S. Pushkin.

Construction work on the construction of the Strastnoy Monastery was completed in 1654, during the reign of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. The building is located in the place where the Passion Icon of the Mother of God once appeared before Muscovites. The fate of the monastery, which gave its name to Strastnaya Square years later, can be called sad, if not unhappy. Some time after the construction, a severe fire broke out in it. A few years later, its premises were used by the French army, which at that time seized the Russian capital, for sacrilege, mass executions and executions.

In the 20th century, during the Bolshevik regime, the monastery was again in trouble, this time the last. By cruel atheists, adherents of total godlessness, the Passion Monastery was completely destroyed. Now only the name of Moscow Boulevard reminds of it.

Russian literary luminaries Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev and Fedor took part in the creation of the monument to Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin on the site where the Strastnoy Monastery once hosted its parishioners Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky. It was with their active participation that the great Russian poet was immortalized in stone. The monument on the place where Pushkin liked to walk appeared in 1880.

Address

Pushkinskaya square

Source

https://kudago.com/msk/place/pushkinskaya-ploshad-v-moskve/

Map

Сity tours