Place Details

Place Details

Novospassky Monastery

Since the founding of the monastery, the remains of the Romanov boyars, ancestors of the dynasty of Russian tsars, have been buried here. Roman Zakharyin and his children, the great sovereign nun Marfa, the daughter of Mikhail Fedorovich Tsarevna Irina and many other representatives of the August family found the last shelter on earth in this place.

During the war of 1812, the monastery was first looted by Napoleonic soldiers, and then suffered from a fire. It is noteworthy that before fleeing, the French looters dug under the monastery to blow it up, but did not have time - the appearance of the Russian army destroyed the enemy's plans.

Since 1918, the monastery was closed, its premises housed a concentration camp, then a prison for women, and then a correctional labor camp for political prisoners. Fifteen years later, the Bolsheviks destroyed the necropolis, where statesmen and church employees found peace. In 1935, a potato storage and a warehouse for furniture confiscated goods were organized here, as well as residential premises for the poor. The interior decoration was removed, and the space of the monastery was disfigured by temporary partitions.

In the 1950s, without outside interference, a shield with the Soviet slogan “House of Culture instead of monasteries” fell, which was located directly above the entrance to the tomb of the Romanov boyars. After this collapse, a view of the mosaic image of the Savior Not Made by Hands opened. In March 1991, Patriarch Alexy II blessed the resumption of services in the main church.

Since the founding of the monastery, the remains of the Romanov boyars, ancestors of the dynasty of Russian tsars, have been buried here. Roman Zakharyin and his children, the great sovereign nun Marfa, the daughter of Mikhail Fedorovich Tsarevna Irina and many other representatives of the August family found the last shelter on earth in this place.

During the war of 1812, the monastery was first looted by Napoleonic soldiers, and then suffered from a fire. It is noteworthy that before fleeing, the French looters dug under the monastery to blow it up, but did not have time - the appearance of the Russian army destroyed the enemy's plans.

Since 1918, the monastery was closed, its premises housed a concentration camp, then a prison for women, and then a correctional labor camp for political prisoners. Fifteen years later, the Bolsheviks destroyed the necropolis, where statesmen and church employees found peace. In 1935, a potato storage and a warehouse for furniture confiscated goods were organized here, as well as residential premises for the poor. The interior decoration was removed, and the space of the monastery was disfigured by temporary partitions.

In the 1950s, without outside interference, a shield with the Soviet slogan “House of Culture instead of monasteries” fell, which was located directly above the entrance to the tomb of the Romanov boyars. After this collapse, a view of the mosaic image of the Savior Not Made by Hands opened. In March 1991, Patriarch Alexy II blessed the resumption of services in the main church.

Since the founding of the monastery, the remains of the Romanov boyars, ancestors of the dynasty of Russian tsars, have been buried here. Roman Zakharyin and his children, the great sovereign nun Marfa, the daughter of Mikhail Fedorovich Tsarevna Irina and many other representatives of the August family found the last shelter on earth in this place.

During the war of 1812, the monastery was first looted by Napoleonic soldiers, and then suffered from a fire. It is noteworthy that before fleeing, the French looters dug under the monastery to blow it up, but did not have time - the appearance of the Russian army destroyed the enemy's plans.

Since 1918, the monastery was closed, its premises housed a concentration camp, then a prison for women, and then a correctional labor camp for political prisoners. Fifteen years later, the Bolsheviks destroyed the necropolis, where statesmen and church employees found peace. In 1935, a potato storage and a warehouse for furniture confiscated goods were organized here, as well as residential premises for the poor. The interior decoration was removed, and the space of the monastery was disfigured by temporary partitions.

In the 1950s, without outside interference, a shield with the Soviet slogan “House of Culture instead of monasteries” fell, which was located directly above the entrance to the tomb of the Romanov boyars. After this collapse, a view of the mosaic image of the Savior Not Made by Hands opened. In March 1991, Patriarch Alexy II blessed the resumption of services in the main church.

Address

Krestyanskaya Square, 10

Source

https://kudago.com/msk/place/novospasskij-monastyr/

Map

Сity tours