Place Details

Place Details

Church of St. George the Victorious on Pskov Hill

The Church of St. George the Victorious was erected in the 1650s on the stone foundation of the destroyed Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos. This area was popularly called differently, but more often it was called Pskov Hill, because Pskov residents resettled to Moscow lived here. There was also the name “At the Old Prisons”, explained by the fact that the Gosudarev prison yard was located nearby. As the years passed, the temple flourished, but during the fire of 1812, most of the church buildings burned down. A few years later, work was carried out to restore the church, its territory was expanded, and a bell tower was built.

After the Bolsheviks came to power, church services stopped, church buildings were increasingly destroyed, but no one carried out repairs. This continued until the 1960s, when restoration work finally began. The church was restored and completed, and during the construction work, a jug full of silver coins was found deep underground. In 1991, the Church of George on Pskov Hill was returned to the diocese.

The Church of St. George the Victorious was erected in the 1650s on the stone foundation of the destroyed Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos. This area was popularly called differently, but more often it was called Pskov Hill, because Pskov residents resettled to Moscow lived here. There was also the name “At the Old Prisons”, explained by the fact that the Gosudarev prison yard was located nearby. As the years passed, the temple flourished, but during the fire of 1812, most of the church buildings burned down. A few years later, work was carried out to restore the church, its territory was expanded, and a bell tower was built.

After the Bolsheviks came to power, church services stopped, church buildings were increasingly destroyed, but no one carried out repairs. This continued until the 1960s, when restoration work finally began. The church was restored and completed, and during the construction work, a jug full of silver coins was found deep underground. In 1991, the Church of George on Pskov Hill was returned to the diocese.

The Church of St. George the Victorious was erected in the 1650s on the stone foundation of the destroyed Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos. This area was popularly called differently, but more often it was called Pskov Hill, because Pskov residents resettled to Moscow lived here. There was also the name “At the Old Prisons”, explained by the fact that the Gosudarev prison yard was located nearby. As the years passed, the temple flourished, but during the fire of 1812, most of the church buildings burned down. A few years later, work was carried out to restore the church, its territory was expanded, and a bell tower was built.

After the Bolsheviks came to power, church services stopped, church buildings were increasingly destroyed, but no one carried out repairs. This continued until the 1960s, when restoration work finally began. The church was restored and completed, and during the construction work, a jug full of silver coins was found deep underground. In 1991, the Church of George on Pskov Hill was returned to the diocese.

Address

st. Varvarka 12

Source

https://kudago.com/msk/place/hram-georgiya-pobedonosca-na-pskovskoj-gorke/

Map

Checkout airplane tickets

Сity tours