Place Details

Place Details

Pashkov's house

Pashkov's house was built in the middle of the XVIII century at the request of Pyotr Yegorovich Pashkov, a famous nobleman, ransom, former lieutenant captain. Who does the authorship belong to? Who built this amazing house? Historians do not have an unambiguous answer to these questions. It is generally believed that the building was designed by Vasily Bazhenov, but there is no documentary evidence of this theory.

During Pashkov's lifetime, a garden of exceptional beauty was laid out in front of the house. Amazed Muscovites gathered near the fence to admire its decoration. Stone pools, a fountain, many exotic birds — all this gave the mansion an incredible, fantastic view. However, at the beginning of the XIX century, the estate was empty, direct heirs moved to the family estate on Mokhovaya Street.

In 1839, Pashkov's house became the property of Moscow University. For many years, it served as a place for various educational institutions. Twenty years later, the house was used as a repository for the Rumyantsev Library, and in 1921 it was transformed into the Lenin Public Library of the USSR.

Pashkov's house has a very interesting location: it stands on Vagankovo Hill and is the first residential building from which you can see the Moscow Kremlin. There is a legend that in the depths of Vagankovo Hill there are hidden corridors that can lead to the lost library of Ivan the Terrible.

Mikhail Bulgakov immortalized Pashkov's House in his immortal creation The Master and Margarita: “At sunset, high above the city on the stone terrace of one of the most beautiful buildings in Moscow, built about one and a half hundred years ago, there were two: Woland and Azazello.”

Over its long history, Pashkov's house has been transformed more than once. For the first time, the mansion was damaged in a fire during the Patriotic War of 1812. When the estate became a library, many changes took place in it. One of the most global reconstructions was carried out in 1986: during the construction of the Borovitskaya metro station, as a result of incorrect calculations, the foundation of the house was damaged, and it took several years for it full recovery.

Pashkov Dom is now a modern library with developed infrastructure, but many still come just to admire the work of art created by an unknown architect.

Pashkov's house was built in the middle of the XVIII century at the request of Pyotr Yegorovich Pashkov, a famous nobleman, ransom, former lieutenant captain. Who does the authorship belong to? Who built this amazing house? Historians do not have an unambiguous answer to these questions. It is generally believed that the building was designed by Vasily Bazhenov, but there is no documentary evidence of this theory.

During Pashkov's lifetime, a garden of exceptional beauty was laid out in front of the house. Amazed Muscovites gathered near the fence to admire its decoration. Stone pools, a fountain, many exotic birds — all this gave the mansion an incredible, fantastic view. However, at the beginning of the XIX century, the estate was empty, direct heirs moved to the family estate on Mokhovaya Street.

In 1839, Pashkov's house became the property of Moscow University. For many years, it served as a place for various educational institutions. Twenty years later, the house was used as a repository for the Rumyantsev Library, and in 1921 it was transformed into the Lenin Public Library of the USSR.

Pashkov's house has a very interesting location: it stands on Vagankovo Hill and is the first residential building from which you can see the Moscow Kremlin. There is a legend that in the depths of Vagankovo Hill there are hidden corridors that can lead to the lost library of Ivan the Terrible.

Mikhail Bulgakov immortalized Pashkov's House in his immortal creation The Master and Margarita: “At sunset, high above the city on the stone terrace of one of the most beautiful buildings in Moscow, built about one and a half hundred years ago, there were two: Woland and Azazello.”

Over its long history, Pashkov's house has been transformed more than once. For the first time, the mansion was damaged in a fire during the Patriotic War of 1812. When the estate became a library, many changes took place in it. One of the most global reconstructions was carried out in 1986: during the construction of the Borovitskaya metro station, as a result of incorrect calculations, the foundation of the house was damaged, and it took several years for it full recovery.

Pashkov Dom is now a modern library with developed infrastructure, but many still come just to admire the work of art created by an unknown architect.

Pashkov's house was built in the middle of the XVIII century at the request of Pyotr Yegorovich Pashkov, a famous nobleman, ransom, former lieutenant captain. Who does the authorship belong to? Who built this amazing house? Historians do not have an unambiguous answer to these questions. It is generally believed that the building was designed by Vasily Bazhenov, but there is no documentary evidence of this theory.

During Pashkov's lifetime, a garden of exceptional beauty was laid out in front of the house. Amazed Muscovites gathered near the fence to admire its decoration. Stone pools, a fountain, many exotic birds — all this gave the mansion an incredible, fantastic view. However, at the beginning of the XIX century, the estate was empty, direct heirs moved to the family estate on Mokhovaya Street.

In 1839, Pashkov's house became the property of Moscow University. For many years, it served as a place for various educational institutions. Twenty years later, the house was used as a repository for the Rumyantsev Library, and in 1921 it was transformed into the Lenin Public Library of the USSR.

Pashkov's house has a very interesting location: it stands on Vagankovo Hill and is the first residential building from which you can see the Moscow Kremlin. There is a legend that in the depths of Vagankovo Hill there are hidden corridors that can lead to the lost library of Ivan the Terrible.

Mikhail Bulgakov immortalized Pashkov's House in his immortal creation The Master and Margarita: “At sunset, high above the city on the stone terrace of one of the most beautiful buildings in Moscow, built about one and a half hundred years ago, there were two: Woland and Azazello.”

Over its long history, Pashkov's house has been transformed more than once. For the first time, the mansion was damaged in a fire during the Patriotic War of 1812. When the estate became a library, many changes took place in it. One of the most global reconstructions was carried out in 1986: during the construction of the Borovitskaya metro station, as a result of incorrect calculations, the foundation of the house was damaged, and it took several years for it full recovery.

Pashkov Dom is now a modern library with developed infrastructure, but many still come just to admire the work of art created by an unknown architect.

Address

st. 3/5 Vozdvizhenka str., bld. 1

Source

https://kudago.com/msk/place/dom-pashkova/

Map

Сity tours