Place Details

Place Details

Phillip Metropolitan Church

The Church of Philip the Metropolitan, which is located in the Meshchanskaya Sloboda, was built on the very site where Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich met the relics of St. Philip and Solovki when they were transported to Moscow. In 1689, the wooden church, as usual, was replaced by a stone church.

And in 1777, the new stone church also needed reconstruction. The project was developed by Matvey Kazakov, and the work took about 10 years. The church was conceived as a residence for the metropolitan, but this task was not realized. And already in 1827, a side chapel dedicated to Sergiy Radonezhsky appeared, and houses were arranged near it for everyone who served in the church. Later, an almshouse and a school were opened here.

Under the Bolsheviks, in 1939, the church was closed. In 1940, houses that were part of the church ensemble were demolished, and construction of the Olimpiysky sports complex began in their place. After the power of the Bolsheviks ended, services began to be held here again in 1991. In the 1990s, the construction of the Siberian Metochion began: a chapel in honor of the Siberian Enlighteners, a representative and pilgrimage building.

The Church of Philip the Metropolitan, which is located in the Meshchanskaya Sloboda, was built on the very site where Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich met the relics of St. Philip and Solovki when they were transported to Moscow. In 1689, the wooden church, as usual, was replaced by a stone church.

And in 1777, the new stone church also needed reconstruction. The project was developed by Matvey Kazakov, and the work took about 10 years. The church was conceived as a residence for the metropolitan, but this task was not realized. And already in 1827, a side chapel dedicated to Sergiy Radonezhsky appeared, and houses were arranged near it for everyone who served in the church. Later, an almshouse and a school were opened here.

Under the Bolsheviks, in 1939, the church was closed. In 1940, houses that were part of the church ensemble were demolished, and construction of the Olimpiysky sports complex began in their place. After the power of the Bolsheviks ended, services began to be held here again in 1991. In the 1990s, the construction of the Siberian Metochion began: a chapel in honor of the Siberian Enlighteners, a representative and pilgrimage building.

The Church of Philip the Metropolitan, which is located in the Meshchanskaya Sloboda, was built on the very site where Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich met the relics of St. Philip and Solovki when they were transported to Moscow. In 1689, the wooden church, as usual, was replaced by a stone church.

And in 1777, the new stone church also needed reconstruction. The project was developed by Matvey Kazakov, and the work took about 10 years. The church was conceived as a residence for the metropolitan, but this task was not realized. And already in 1827, a side chapel dedicated to Sergiy Radonezhsky appeared, and houses were arranged near it for everyone who served in the church. Later, an almshouse and a school were opened here.

Under the Bolsheviks, in 1939, the church was closed. In 1940, houses that were part of the church ensemble were demolished, and construction of the Olimpiysky sports complex began in their place. After the power of the Bolsheviks ended, services began to be held here again in 1991. In the 1990s, the construction of the Siberian Metochion began: a chapel in honor of the Siberian Enlighteners, a representative and pilgrimage building.

Address

st. Gilyarovskogo, 35

Source

https://kudago.com/msk/place/cerkov-filippa-mitropolita/

Map

Сity tours